Mame Biram Diouf's dream debut


The last time United signed a relatively unknown centre-forward from Norwegian side Molde FK, it turned out to be an extremely shrewd piece of business. Is it possible Sir Alex has struck gold yet again in Mame Biram Diouf?

Like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the Senegalese striker’s arrival at Old Trafford was decidedly low-key. And on Saturday against Burnley, Diouf continued to mirror Ole’s early OT career by netting on his home debut.

Diouf, sent on for Wayne Rooney on 73 minutes, put the icing on the cake of United’s 3-0 win, stealing in during injury time to head over the onrushing Brian Jensen at the Stretford End.

“It feels good to score in my first game here,” he told MUTV. “I was nervous for the first two or three minutes but then you forget about all the people in the stands and you do your job.”

Diouf’s debut came last weekend at St. Andrew’s, where he was handed a late cameo in the Reds’ 1-1 draw. And he insists he’ll give his all whenever Sir Alex selects him next.

“I’m just going to work hard and do my best and we’ll see when the manager needs me. I’ll be ready, though.

“I want to give my best for my new team and be ready when they needme. I’ll work hard in training, never give up and be ready for the next chance that comes along.”

The 22-year-old, who scored 23 times in 52 games for Molde in Norway, says he’s keen to work closely with United’s other forwards.

“I’m sure I can learn [by playing alongside Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen and Dimitar Berbatov],” he said.

“They are top players, some of the best in the world. They’ve done so much in football and in this league so I’m going to try and learn a lot.”

"I want to give my best for my new team and be ready when they need me. I’ll work hard in training, never give up and be ready for the next chance that comes along."

Mame Biram Diouf

No comments: