Manchester United and Chelsea move into Carling Cup fourth round

Danny Welbeck scored the only goal as a 10-man Manchester United kept their Carling Cup defence alive with a 1-0 third round win over Wolverhampton at Old Trafford.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who made 11 changes to the team that defeated Manchester City on Sunday, saw Brazilian defender Fabio Da Silva sent off for a professional foul in the first half at Old Trafford.

Fabio, making only his fifth appearance, slipped as he tried to catch Michael Kightly in the 28th minute and only managed to drag the Wolves winger to the turf as he sprinted clear.

But Michael Owen turned provider with a pass to Welbeck that allowed the young forward to break Wolves' stubborn resistance in the 66th minute.

Ferguson said: "Fabio was unlucky, He slipped and tried to recover and as he tried to recover he brought him down.

"Wolves were a threat on the counter-attack, but for the last hour we kept our discipline and that was very pleasing.

"That never-say-die attitude runs through this club and the goal was magnificent.''

Chelsea extended their winning run under new manager Carlo Ancelotti to eight matches in all competitions as Salomon Kalou's goal earned the Blues a 1-0 win over west London neighbours QPR.

The Blues have triumphed in every game since the Italian took charge and, after a tight first half at the Stamford Bridge, the Premier League leaders took the lead in the 52nd minute when Kalou beat QPR's offside trap and fired past Tom Heaton.

Peter Crouch scored a hat-trick as Tottenham's bid to reach a third successive League Cup final stayed on track with a 5-1 win against Championship promotion chasers Preston.

It was Crouch who opened the scoring in the 14th minute. Then Jermain Defoe increased their advantage in the 37th minute and Crouch notched his second in the 77th minute.

Chris Brown got one back for Preston in the 83rd minute but there was still time for Robbie Keane to add Tottenham's fourth goal three minutes from full-time before Crouch claimed his hat-trick in stoppage time.

Manchester City bounced back from their derby despair with a 2-1 win over Fulham after extra time at Eastlands.

Mark Hughes's team were beaten 4-3 at Manchester United on Sunday and fell behind to Fulham after 34 minutes when Zoltan Gera hit a spectacular half-volley from long range.

But City levelled through England midfielder Gareth Barry, who headed in after a mistake from Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale, and Kolo Toure nodded the winner in the 111th minute.

Socceroo Lucas Neill has made his debut for Everton in his side's 4-0 thrashing of Hull City by coming off the bench midway through the second half.

Fellow Australian Tim Cahill was an unused substitute for David Moyes' men, who won through thanks to goals from Ayegbeni Yakubu, Jo, Dan Gosling and Leon Osman.

Yakubu was making his first start since November 2008 as the Nigerian continues his comeback from a snapped Achilles and he took just 11 minutes to make his mark, taking Diniyar Bilyaletdinov's pass and curling home.

Jo struck in the 20th minute and Dan Gosling added a third goal four minutes later before Leon Osman's second half strike completed Hull's misery.

Gabriel Agbonlahor's early goal was enough for Aston Villa to see off Cardiff 1-0 at Villa Park.

Villa took the lead in the third minute when Agbonlahor met John Carew's cross with a fine finish.

No comments: