Carlos Tevez has spoken of his delight at signing for Manchester City.

The Argentina international put pen to paper on a deal with the Eastlands club after spending two years across the city at Manchester United.

City have called a press conference for 3pm where they will unveil their latest big money signing. Tevez flew into Manchester on Tuesday morning and was immediately whisked away for a medical. He signed a five-year contract at lunchtime for a fee believed to be £25m.

The 25-year-old insists he always wanted to sign for City and expects to have many successful years under Mark Hughes. The striker was wooed by the club's long-term ambitious plans to be transformed into one of Europe's biggest clubs.

He will wear the number 32 shirt, which he wore at both West Ham and the Red Devils.

"The manager and the owners are very ambitious and that became clear to me the first time we spoke," he told the Daily Mail. "This is the chance to be involved from the start, an opportunity to help build a special experience.

"I hope to win many more trophies with City. There is a great feeling of excitement around the club. Look at the quality of the players who have been signed and the prospect of other top-quality players coming, too. Things are happening at this club."

City have already signed Gareth Barry and Roque Santa Cruz this summer for a combined fee in the region of £30m with Tevez to cost £25m. After ditching their pursuit of Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o, City have begun negotations with Arsenal to land Emmanuel Adebayor for a similar price.

"The owners made it clear to me that they will be doing everything in their power to make this an extraordinary club to play for," Tevez added. "I look forward to being part of that experience.

"Mark Hughes played in my position for some of the biggest clubs in the world and understands the demands and pressure of playing as a striker. I look forward to learning from him.

"My record of success speaks for itself. From helping West Ham to avoid relegation to helping Manchester United to two Champions League finals in two seasons. That's not a bad record!

"When I get the chance to play, I am confident that it can lead to goals, for me and for my team-mates. I am a team player who can score goals. I know my responsibilities.

"I am thrilled to be a City player. I can't wait for the new season to begin."

No comments: